PARTNERS

PRESENTED BY THE BRITISH COUNCIL & SUSTAINED THEATRE

IN ASSOCIATION WITH SPEAKEASY & VERSE IN DIALOG

Monday 4 October 2010

Flirting with the Fog

I must admit I didn't think it possible for me a simple Venda girl used to Sun and chirping birds to fall in love with a city of grey and gloom, but I think London is flirting with me and I find myself reciprocating. Maybe I am an easy woman, patient and tolerant of things that would usually defer me from love - rain, a transport strike, overcrowdedness and claustrophobia, wet socks from accidentally walking into puddles of water and the likes. However, if you are in my shoes and greeted with the sheer magnitude of this place; greeted with the non-existent horizon dotted with skyscrapers and fog; greeted with every opportunity for an impersonal relationship with a city, AND THEN the city still notices you - you feel kind of special. You feel welcomed into a hybrid creation of identity, where each person contributes a personality to the landscape of the city that draws you in like a butterfly trapped in glue. I make it sound more romantic than it really is... But if London was a man, I would go home tonight, lay in my bed and think about if would be possible for us to be more than friends. So tomorrow, I will wake up with a mind ready to fall in love with a grey and sad city, and write poems that make the heart of the city smile!

2 comments:

  1. oh my gosh baby sister, this is phenominal!!! come on Sana! Well, one result is sure. If the city was a man, he would be captivated by you. love you big, se xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. :) :) You're soooo lovely! We're called to change the atmosphere ^_^ Reach out with all that massive gift God has given to you, reach out! :D :D

    ReplyDelete